Free income tax help available now
Volunteers are available at Weingart Senior Center to assist low-income families, individuals and seniors in preparing their basic tax returns.
Appointments are required, and are available Mondays and Thursdays from February 5 through April 16.
Call 562-630-6141 to make an appointment. The Weingart Senior Center is located at 5220 Oliva Avenue in Lakewood.
If you are filing a joint return, both husband and wife must come to the appointment. Individuals with appointments should be prepared to bring in their tax information (W-2 or 1099 forms) and last year's tax return. The returns generally take about two hours to prepare, and every return is reviewed by a second tax preparer before they're filed.
The service is a nationwide AARP Foundation program called “Tax-Aide.” Through a cadre of trained volunteers, Tax-Aide has helped low- to moderate-income individuals for more than 40 years across the nation.
The program helps taxpayers receive applicable tax credits and deductions. Tax-Aide is free to taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those age 60 and older. For more information, visit www.aarp.org/taxaide.
The Internal Revenue Service website has a section with information specifically for seniors at www.irs.gov/individuals/retirees. It includes tips, FAQs and Social Security-related information.
- Prepare simple forms, including sale of homes and rental property (NO depreciation).
- Prepare Schedules A, B, C & D.
- Prepare K-1 (Interest & Dividends only).
- Refer technical questions/returns to the IRS or other professional assistance.
Volunteers WILL NOT:
- Prepare complicated returns such as rental property with depreciation.
- Prepare business returns or complicated K-1.
- Answer technical questions for which they have not been trained.
- Refer taxpayers to any firm.
- Accept fees.