Help Lakewood 'Thank a Servicemember'
Since the launch of the City of Lakewood's "Thank a Servicemember" campaign in 2014, more than 23,000 postcards and letters of appreciation have been collected from the greater Lakewood community that were then forwarded to U.S. servicemen and women deployed overseas.
Holiday greetings and letters of thanks will be collected again this year through early December. At City Hall as well as other locations around town, you will be able to fill out a Lakewood commemorative postcard available or drop off your own letter or card (please, no envelopes or glitter and no larger than 8.5" x 11"). The City will then send all submissions to U.S. servicemembers overseas through the military support group, Operation Gratitude.
“The dedicated men and women who serve far from home are our family, friends, and neighbors, and we are so grateful for their incredible patriotism and bravery,” said Mayor Steve Croft. “Help us show them how much we honor their sacrifice and the risks they endure by taking the time to write a note of appreciation."
If your business, service club or organization would like to partner with us in the project, visit www.lakewoodcity.org/TASGetInvolved.
Drop off your own letter or use one of Lakewood's commemorative postcards available at the following locations:
• Lakewood City Hall
• The Center
• Angelo Iacoboni Library
• George Nye, Jr. Library
• Weingart Community Center
• Palms Community Center
• Burns Community Center
You can also see the list of community partners joining us in the effort, including some who invite the public to drop off cards and letters with them, at www.lakewoodcity.org/TASpartners.
Don’t know where to start with a note? Here are some tips:
• Start your letter with a salutation, such as “Dear Hero” or “Dear Brave One.”
• Express your thanks for their selfless service.
• Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you pray for them is wonderful.
• Share a little about yourself and life back home (sports, weather, pets, family, hobbies, music, and movies, etc).
• Adults: include your contact information (mail or email) so the letter recipient may reply.
• Children: FIRST NAMES ONLY and no addresses please. Add child's age on drawings.
• Still can’t find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead.
• Please - no glitter on cards or artwork
• No larger than 8.5" x 11"
• No envelopes, please (loose cards and letters only).