Since the launch of the City of Lakewood's "Thank a Servicemember" campaign in 2014, more than 20,000 postcards and letters of appreciation were collected from the greater Lakewood community that were then forwarded to U.S. servicemen and women deployed overseas.
Holiday greetings and letters of thanks will be collected again this year through early December. At city hall as well as other locations around town, you will be able to fill out a Lakewood commemorative postcard available or drop off your own letter or card (please, no envelopes or glitter and no larger than 8.5" x 11"). The city will then send all submissions to U.S. servicemembers overseas through the military support group, Operation Gratitude.
“These men and women are our family, friends, and neighbors, and we are so lucky for the incredible patriotism and bravery they demonstrate here and abroad,” said Mayor Diane DuBois. “Let us be grateful for those who strengthen our nation and are far away from their loved ones. Take the time to let them know you appreciate the sacrifices and the risks that they endure."
If your business, service club or organization would like to partner with us in the project, click here for more details.
Drop off your own letter or use one of Lakewood's commemorative postcards available at the following locations:
• Lakewood City Hall
• The Center at Sycamore Plaza
• Angelo Iacoboni Library
• Nye Library
• Weingart Senior Center
• Palms Community Center
• Lakewood Center
• Greater Lakewood Chamber of Commerce
Don’t know where to start with a note? Here are some tips:
• Start your letter with a salutation, such as “Dear Hero” or “Dear Brave One.”
• Express your thanks for their selfless service.
• Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you pray for them is wonderful.
• Share a little about yourself.
• Talk about life back home including sports, weather, pets, family, hobbies, music, and movies.
• Adults: include your contact information (mail or email) so the letter recipient may reply.
• Children: FIRST NAMES ONLY and no addresses please.
• Still can’t find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead. (Please, no glitter)!
• No larger than 8.5" x 11"
• No envelopes, please (loose cards and letters only).