Tailgate thefts on the rise
Tailgates can be removed by one person in less than 30 seconds. The most targeted trucks have been Toyota and Chevy models with rear-view cameras in the tailgate.
Unless your truck’s tailgate is secured to the truck bed, you could become a victim of tailgate theft.
Here are some tips to reduce your vehicle’s vulnerability:
• Purchase and install a tailgate anti-theft device on your vehicle. Many options are available in store and online, and range from $30-$100. This small investment could save you from an expensive tailgate replacement.
• Always keep your tailgate locked when not in use. Remember to check that your tailgate is locked before you walk away from your vehicle.
• Engrave the vehicle VIN number on an inside panel of your tailgate. In the event your tailgate is stolen, it can be returned to you if it is recovered.
• Be mindful of where you park your vehicle. Avoid poorly lit or vacant areas.
• Keep an eye out for suspicious people near trucks. If you see something, say something! Call 9-1-1 to report a crime in progress.
While most Lakewood thefts have occurred late at night or in the early morning hours, thefts throughout the day are trending in surrounding areas.
Be sure to report thefts immediately to the Lakewood Sheriff’s Station 24-hour business line at 562-623-3500. It’s the only way for law enforcement to track criminal activity and find those responsible.